What is an "Act"? What is a "Bill"? What is a "Regulation"? What is a "Statute"?
For helpful definitions, visit the E-Laws Glossary
Federal Support to Provinces and Territories
- Provinces and territories receive three major transfers from the federal government each year: (1) Canada Health Transfer (CHT); (2) Canada Social Transfer (CST); and (3) Equalization and Territorial Formula Financing. In 2012-13, these transfers will amount to a total of $60.9 billion.
- Visit the Department of Finance web site to learn more
- For a complete list of past and present federal budgets, please visit the Department of Finance web site
The federal government offers several financial assistance programs to support both families in general as well as families of children with disabilities.
Disability Tax Credit
- Download the Disability Tax Credit Certificate at: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/
- This form must be completed for a qualified practitioner before you may be considered eligible for the Disability Tax Credit
Child Disability Benefit (CDB)
- The Child Disability Benefit is a tax-free benefit for families of children under the age 18 with a severe and prolonged physical or mental impairment
- The benefit is allocated on a monthly basis to families
- Must be eligible to receive the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) and the Disability Tax Credit
- Website: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/fq_cdb-eng.html
Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)
Employment Insurance Compassionate Care Program
- Employment Insurance benefits paid to individuals caring for a family member who is gravely ill and at risk of dying within six months
- Eligible individuals may receive a maximum of six weeks of benefits
- Website: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/compassionate_care.shtml